FLAGLER COLLEGE - CORDOVA COURTYARD AT POLLARD HALL
HISTORIC DOWNTOWN ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA
An opportunity to feature the Menorcan history in St. Augustine presented itself when the City’s archaeologist team discovered an historic well in the future building foundation line. The well, along with other artifacts, were discovered before the new academic building construction began. Rather than demolish the well, dated to the mid-late 1800’s, the College supported the concept of relocating it to one of the courtyards.HFA designed the Cordova Courtyard that included a custom tile pattern encircling the below ground well enclosure. The well enclosure is vented for air circulation and it is lit below the walkable glass surface. Visitors to the building can walk over and view original artifacts on their way to class and while waiting for friends.